Sunday, March 20

Fishing Report: Potomac River, Washington DC

Where

Potomac River - Chain Bridge

For
Shad, Stripers, anything hungry

What We Caught

A few very nice Shad – they were really running and you could almost reach out and grab ‘em (at your peril).

What We Learned

The basics to fishing the Potomac & that great fishing is just a few miles from the house. I’ll be strapping my rod to the bike and riding to the river soon.

I met up with Rob Snowhite, the local DC fishing consultant, and he showed me the ropes to fishing the Potomac. I highly recommend meeting up with him (regardless of experience) to learn about fly-fishing in the DC area. http://robsnowhite.com/

http://flyfishingconsultant.blogspot.com/2011/03/fly-fishing-for-shad.html

I’ll be spending a lot more time on the river and trying to stave off the urge to buy a two-handed rod or larger spey. Big roll casts on the eight weight are going to have to do for now!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! Isn't it great to have something so close? Hard to believe crowded and touristy DC could be so accessible to the fly fisherman. Wishing I was there but here working in the yard in on Signal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exactly where is this - the point where VA, MD and DC come together?

    ReplyDelete